Tuesday, May 20, 2008

10 Reasons Why Beans Rule

1. Beans are cheap. (Some people say I'm cheap, but I consider myself "froo-gull").
2. Beans are delicious.
3. Beans are easy to cook. (just follow the Bean Jazz videos)
4. Beans are eco-friendly. The humble bean plant turns sunshine into delicious protein with grace and style. Ditch that Prius, eat more beans!
5. Beans are fun. "The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel!"
6. Beans make you more attractive. (OK, maybe not directly, but it you eat beans you'll have more money in your pocket and that WILL make you more attractive).
7. Beans are soooooo good for you. Protein, fiber and mysterious phyto-chemicals that do all kinds of good deeds inside your body.
8. Beans are good for people around the world. I won't bore you with the economics, but trust me, when you eat beans, everybody wins.
9. Beans keep (almost) forever. You won't have to throw them out because they're putrid or moldy. They'll wait patiently for you to enjoy them.
10. Beans are good luck. Here is a true story. When I moved out of an attic and into a very humble apartment in the 1980's in Kalamazoo, Michigan, I had almost no money. Nobody in Kalamazoo had any money in the early 80's. My friend Jay gave me a house-warming present of a plastic sherbet container filled with dried kidney beans. He said, "you'll never go hungry as long as you have these beans." He was right, I have always had enough to eat. And I still have those kidney beans.

No comments: